Thursday, May 29, 2008

Not impressed

When I first booked my reception place, I thought it was great that they referred me to a florist and baker so that I wouldn't have to find my own. I could just tell them what flowers and cake I wanted, and they would do it for me. Sounds convenient. However, I wasn't so impressed with either of them. I like to do my homework before I order something so that I know what I'm asking for. I apparently ended up knowing more than the people I worked with.

For example, my florist told me that it would be impossible to get peonies in June, because they would be "out of season." Any website on the internet will tell you that they peak in early June. Hmmm.

She also didn't know what a nerine was when I requested them for my bouquet. According to Brides magazine, they are a bouquet staple.

Then she told me that stock only came in pink and white. Even the BYU Floral Center sells it in purple, yellow, red, white, and pink. And those are natural colors, not dyed.

My cake was supposed to be included in the cost of my reception. First, the cake maker threw a fit about how hard the cake was going to be. (Cheesecake with a topping and a fondant around it doesn't sound that hard.)

Then she decided to charge a $100 fee for having fondant. Brandon and I made fondant last night; it's not that hard.

Then the cost added up to $500 ABOVE what the reception place covered. For three cheesecakes. So, what did I do? I fired her. And I am now making my own wedding cake, with the help of Brandon's sister (a cheesecake pro-- she makes some of the best cheesecakes I've ever had) and little Brandon himself. And I guarantee I will do it for less than $500.

7 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

i'm not impressed either. do you think peoeple will be impressed with YOUR cheesecake?

Bexie Funk said...

i think this will be interesting.

MOM THE BOMB said...

I ordered extra sheet cake, just in case.

bethy said...

actually, i think cheesecake with a topping and fondant was one of the bake-off challenges on america's next top chef.

Graytoppop said...

Obviously these folks aren't candidates for America's next top chef.

Reception places probably recommend people who pay them commissions. Financial incentive ruled the day, not customer satisfaction.....

Lindsey said...

You will be impressed.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Actually, we WERE impressed - with the cheesecake, but even more so with the groom's cake. WOW!