Friday, November 16, 2012

The adventure of the baby sea turtles

 On the first day, right after a wonderful dinner of lobster tail and coconut rice, I was incredibly tired and planned on going straight to bed.  But as soon as I stepped off the deck, I found a baby sea turtle in the sand!  There were several of them, and I did my best to help guide them to the ocean. It wasn't working.  Soon our waiter came and told us that if we didn't pick them up and put them in the ocean, the hermit crabs would eat them.  At that point my maternal instincts kicked in and I simply could not let a baby be eaten.  So I picked up a turtle, headed to the shore, and released it.  I came back and joined the rest of the group-- they had found the nest and were rescuing the rest of the stragglers.  It was amazing.  I've heard that only 1 in a hundred sea turtle hatchlings survive to adolescence in the wild.  Maybe mine will beat the odds.

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Way to go! I don't know if it was maternal instincts. You were rescuing baby animals long before you became a mom. Just saying.

Bexie Funk said...

ok thats the coolest thing you have ever done! i want to save baby sea turtles too.