Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New skills

Every mother is convinced her child is a genius.  I was definitely on that bandwagon when Violet was a baby.  Every little social or motor skill she learned was further proof of her prodigy.  Well, it's different with the second child.  I'm busier and I've seen it all before, and sometimes I forget that Charlie is also a smart little baby.  Here are some ways he communicates to us:
Shaking his head (means no)
pointing to something (means he wants it)
making a grabbing motion with his right hand (means "give it to me!")
waving his arm up and down (means "let's go!")
slapping his chair (means "I want it NOW!")
He also combines these things to be more specific.  When he sees me walk out of my room in the morning he us usually having breakfast in his high chair, and every time, he points to me and then starts slapping his chair.  Translation: I want mom, NOW!
And sometimes I will be holding him, and he will point to something on the table.  So I will pick it up for him and he will shake his head and point more emphatically to what he wants and make a grabbing motion with his right hand.  Translation: I want that! No, not that, mom, I want that other thing!  Give it to me!
He also loves playing in a certain kitchen cupboard and any time I go to get a bowl out of it, I find a little car or ball stuck in there somewhere.
He loves reading books and can do some of the motions to We're Going on a Bear Hunt.
He stalks anyone who tries to take a shower when he's awake.  He crawls into the bathroom, rips open the shower curtain, and starts laughing hysterically.  Every time.

And Violet... she's still a genius, in my eyes.  The other day she accurately pointed out where we live on a map of the world. She also knows how to spell the word no, and she goes through her alphabet book and tells me what sounds the letters make, and what words start with those letters.  Like "mall." She told me that mall starts with M.  And these things may not sound very impressive, but I didn't teach her any of them.  So don't ask me how she figured out how to spell no, or what letter mall begins with.  She's just a smart girl.

3 comments:

BRANDON said...

There are other things Charlie does as well, but we won't talk about those.

Ashley Erin said...

Charlie is very cute. And such a momma's boy

browniemom said...

Both of your kids sound like geniuses to me! So cute!