Friday, May 31, 2013

Poor Shady, tough decision

Say that in a french accent and it makes way more sense. 

Anyways, I have come to a point where I actually do have a tough decision to make. My sewing machine broke today.  It has broken twice before-- one was something that we got fixed a few years ago, and the other time was last week and Brandon managed to fix it.  But this time it won't even turn on, and I'm seriously considering whether it would be worth it to get it fixed.

From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make sense to get it fixed.  My machine was worth $320 brand new, four years ago.  The first time I got it fixed, it was sent out for 2 weeks and cost me $95. That's almost a third the cost of the machine.  This was a very minor repair, too.  Who knows what it would cost now, or even if I could find someone to fix it.  Buying a new machine isn't something I would care to do now, either.  (Honestly.  I broke a $300 machine twice.  Just imagine what I would do to a cheap $100 machine.)  Also, in this day sewing only saves you money on clothes if you don't know how to get clothes on sale.  And I'm so good at getting clothes on sale.

I don't really love sewing. It's tedious. It takes up SO MUCH ROOM that I just don't have.  I also don't have that much time for hobbies, and to be honest I would love to just focus on painting, because that one gets neglected a ton. But one thing I do love that would be hard to leave behind is the creative aspect of sewing.  I love that I made Charlie's crib bumpers.  I love that Brandon reupholstered two chairs for our house.  I love that Violet can come with me to the fabric store and pick out exactly what she wants and wait in tense excitement as I finish each stage of her new dress.  I really love that I never have to throw any peice of clothing out because it doesn't fit perfectly. 

But even that becomes a problem.  I buy so much fabric for projects that never even get started.  I buy clothes that don't really work on me because I always assume that I can just fix them.  I waste so much money and thought on things that will never get done that it almost excites me to imagine what it will be like to never think about sewing.

It will be sad for me to think that I won't be able to sew Violet a Halloween costume this year.  But I've decided that putting away the sewing machine and thinning out my piles of fabric, at least until I have the space, energy, and money to commit to it again, is the best idea.

4 comments:

BRANDON said...

Did you check to make sure it was plugged in?

Bexie Funk said...

hehe brandon is funny. when you do get one, which you should because you AND brandon sew get a bernina. they're pricey but I have one that's as old as me that works just fine.

MOM THE BOMB said...

What are you going to do with the machine? Don't throw it away!

Lindsey said...

What am I going to do with it? Plug it in.