Friday, June 14, 2013

Illegal

Remember my last post about having my own car and getting to do whatever I want this summer?

Scratch that.

I went to get a Texas license yesterday.  And because I'm dumb, my current Idaho license had expired a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it was.  I got to the DPS nice and early when the wait was only 20 minutes, and I had brought the things that their website said I would need.  Just kidding!  They lied. They sent me home to get my SS card, birth certificate, and another proof of residency.  The only thing was that I didn't have any other proof of resiency.  I am basically a nomad.  We have moved at least every year since we have been married, and that doesn't count the four times we moved for just a couple of months for Brandon to have work. There are no utilities in my name.  I don't have a job, and don't go to school.  I'm not married to a Texan.  I don't request bank statements.  I'm not on medicaid or WIC, and my health insurance card doesn't have my address on it.  Even our rental contract was done electronically, so we didn't have a hard copy of it. This was a problem.  When I finally got something figured out and went back to the DPS, the wait was over 2 hours.  (To make things worse, I had someone watching my kids the whole time.  It was definitely better than having them with me, but my poor friend had to watch them for much longer than she signed up for.)  My turn finally came and I was asked to surrender my Idaho license.  Surrender.  Like we were at war or something.  The lady then took my picture and had me take a written test-- which I passed.  When I walked up to do the last thing, the lady told me I would have to schedule an actual driving test, and that their next available appointment was JULY 23.  Yes.  Six freaking weeks from now.  And did I mention that they took my Idaho license?  So I had to drive home illegally, and I can't legally drive until I pass a driving test, even though I have been driving every day for the past 9 years.  I spent six hours at the DPS and left in a worse position than I came.  I guess the best part of yesterday was getting this text from my sister: "Lol.  Like you aren't going to drive.  Screw the government."  Amen to that.

3 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

I think they found out you are related to mom.

Bexie Funk said...

poor poor shady. no fun at all!

MOM THE BOMB said...

Wait a minute. How did I get involved in this? Sheez