Monday, September 09, 2013

I call for a role reversal weekend

Sometimes I am a great mom, and look at my kids and their adorable little faces and think to myself, "I think I want to have 5 kids."

And sometimes, when it's 10:30 and Violet is still not asleep, I look at them and think, "I think I'll get my tubes tied tomorrow."

Okay, it doesn't get that bad. But things get out of hand very quickly around here and the only thing I can do to keep myself from being admitted to the psychiatric ward is to think of how funny it is.  No, it's not funny when I'm tired and my kid just peed on the couch.  But you know what is funny? Thinking of what would happen if I were the toddler and Violet and Charlie were the parents.  And, oh my gosh, just imagine the fun we would have!

When I have a scary dream, I could just crawl into bed with them.  And when they wake up and wonder what's all wet-- Surprise!  That's me!  Time to do laundry!

Or I could wake Charlie up by putting a book on his face and saying, "Read dis. Read dis. Read dis. Read dis. Read dis. Read dis. Read dis. Read dis....."

They could take me to HEB and let me pick out my own shopping cart.  I of course would refuse to get in it unless I found one shaped like a racecar that weighs more than a baby elephant.  I would tell them that I urgently have to go potty as soon as we are in the cereal aisle, and when I get into the bathroom I would definitely put my hand in the tampon dispenser to see if it gave out candy.  And even though I came into the store wearing flip flops, I would mysteriously leave wearing socks and no shoes and just leave them to wonder how I pulled that one off.

I could make Violet make dinner for me, and after it's finally ready and I've been telling her I'm starving for an hour, I would announce that I no longer like rice, or some other basic staple of the human diet.  Yep, I'll just have fruit snacks.

When she finally puts me to bed, I'll be really cute and try really hard to convince her to let me watch a movie in my bed while I fall asleep.  I'll ultimately settle for a cup of water, as long as that girl doesn't have the nerve to put three ice cubes in it instead of four (I'm telling you, I WILL count them).  And she'd better be prepared with an apology if she gives me a yellow straw instead of a blue one.  And I may come out a couple of times if she's doing something really interesting like loading the dishwasher... but other than that, I PROMISE I'll stay in bed.

Yep, having kids is pretty fun. Especially when you look at it from their eyes.

2 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

Holy cow I started crying I was laughing so hard! We are going to have so much fun!

bethy said...

me too! i want to come to nashville with you guys!