Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the oddball roommate

I have this roommate. I like her because she is the only one in the apartment who still hangs out with Brandon and me. The only thing is, nobody seems to understand her. She is one of the only people I know that has absolutely no need for attention. And that bothers alot of people. So her lack of a need for attention seems to bring more attention to her, because people are fascinated with her.

Like the boy who burns her CDs that she can dance to and comes over every week to teach her how to dance, even though she so obviously hates it. Tonight she told me, "Maybe I should force him to practice my hobby with me. I could invite him over to do math problems. Or stare at walls." And it's true, because besides eating ice cream, those are her two main hobbies.

Or my other roommate's boyfriend. He's loud, and it bothers him so much that she's content listening to conversations instead of participating in them that he makes it a point to try and get her to talk. Which shouldn't be that hard, because she talks to Brandon and me all the time. She just prefers talking about how synthetic diamonds are made to talking about football.

Or my roommates themselves. I don't know how many times they've dragged her along on their escapades, dressed her up, or educated her on pop culture. They don't seem to get that she doesn't care about 90s grunge music or which boy thinks she's cute. Not all pretty girls want to date every boy they meet.

Sometimes, I think people need to let the smart, quiet people be smart and quiet. They're not that quiet if you don't try to force it out of them.

3 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

So, you have one mature roommate, and the rest are flakes?

Unknown said...

She is also the youngest roommate, she just turned 19.

Graytoppop said...

Shady, you know more about human nature than many people. And since you don't crave attention, you understand those who are like you.