Tuesday, April 01, 2008

busts

If anyone ever thought that making a bust was easy, they can think again. Brandon and I have started sculpting each other in our ceramics class. They are turning out pretty well, but there are just a few things that have been quite dificult:
1. Getting used to the shape of Brandon's head. My entire life I have lived with a roundish face with no defined cheekbones or jawline. So I originally made Brandon's head that way, only to have to spend another hour on it, sculpting it up into a very thin, defined face.
2. Wet clay collapses. I built Brandon up too fast and his neck started sinking in to his shoulders. I stood there for some time with a blow dryer trying to straighten him up again and harden the clay. He's still a little sunken, but I can fix it.
3. Sculpting someone is more difficult when they are sculpting you at the same time. Once in awhile, Brandon will grab my face so that he can see my profile, eyes, etc. And when I try to look at him, he is constantly looking down at my bust. Not a very good angle.
4. I am bad with proportions. Even when I draw things, I can never get them right unless I trace a light outline. Impossible with busts.
5. Eyes and lips are frustrating. I finished Brandon's mouth, and he looks really angry. It won't help the fact that he naturally has slightly sad-looking eyes.

Even with all this, I've had a ton of fun with this project. I'm excited to post our renditions of each other, hopefully on Thursday.

6 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

i can't wait to see them.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Tell Brandon to stop looking at your bust

Lindsey said...

Mom, you sicko

BRANDON said...

in all technicality the bust contains no more than the head neck and limited clavicle area. they don't even contain the shoulders.

Graytoppop said...

Well Brandon better get his neck out of his shoulders.....

Ashley Erin said...

ha ha, brandon can't keep his eyes off shady's bust.