Monday, July 28, 2008

Animals and the Grand Tetons

Brandon and I finally made it out to the Tetons this weekend. On Friday we did a nice five-mile hike around Jenny Lake. On Saturday, we hiked up to some alpine lakes. What I thought would be a short hike was actually a 10-mile round trip hike. It just about killed me. It was actually less steep and less hot than the 8-miler we did at the Grand Canyon, but unlike the Grand Canyon, it went up to 9,500 feet in elevation. It turns out that I have really bad lungs because when we got to about 8,500 feet I started getting a headache and chest pains. But I finished. Our trip was also marked by the presence of friendly animals. We saw a moose, lots of elk, a grouse, chipmunks and squirrels of all varieties, a marmut, a deer, and a snake. The only thing I didn't see was a bear. I was disappointed because I've seen a bear every time I've been to Yellowstone and once at Yosemite too. This broke my good luck streak. I saw another friendly animal at Brandon's house. I went to the garage to check if the cats had enough food and water and I found a skunk eating the cat food. I call this one frienly because she was nice enough not to spray me. The deer let us get really close. We didn't even use a zoom lens. The baby is cute.This little guy jumped on my lap because I smelled like granola bar.Surprise Lake.
The Tetons.

And mom, we took all these pictures with our new camera. It's great!

5 comments:

Xavier said...

Yes, that weather does look rather nice. If i'm ever in state, maybe i will take a look at that park in person. The pictures are very good. Nice skills, you two.

Ashley Erin said...

i want to come visit. it makes me want a real vacation

Bexie Funk said...

i'd like a real vacation too. that looks like a lot of fun!

Graytoppop said...

And of course, Fernash has not take a real vacation for many years. Spain was really a pain......

MOM THE BOMB said...

When is Shady going to post another blog?