Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hearing impaired

I'm not a fan of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Some people might gasp and say that I'm going apostate, but I don't care. The reason I don't like it is that it is SO HUGE, I can never hear the words to the song clearly. They also like to divide themselves into tons of parts and rounds and all sing at the same time. This is not good for me beacuse I have a tendency to hear things wrong (Dad will remember me singing "she's got me on the pretzel.") Here are some things I have heard them sing:

Breakfast, breakfast, buns of salt
He's smart, he's smart, he's veeeeeery smart
Ringing in the cheese, ringing in the cheese
Away thy sheets

I did not find out until relatively recently that they are really singing "bringing in the sheaves" and "and we, like sheep." I still have no idea what the first two really say. Until I can read along when they sing, I'm listening to something that's easier to understand.

6 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

I have the same problem with Spanish.

bethy said...

I think you're just flat out deaf.

Bexie Funk said...

i'm with bethy. but i like them, they remind me of christmas.

BRANDON said...

I had an investigator come to general conference and he asked us if they were chanting in a foreign language.

Syclist said...

I have that problem with English.... even when I'm talking to people face to face... oh and primary songs... example:

"Teach me all that I must do" rendered in my brain as:
"Teach me all that I'm a stew"

confused me for years!

Graytoppop said...

I f I could hear the tune, I might be able to tell you the words. But it does take a lot of listening to understand the choir..