Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pavlovian response

I'm assuming everyone knows about Pavlov's experiment with the bulldogs where he rang a bell when it was feeding time and soon enough they started salivating every time they heard a bell. Well, something similar has happened to me, and it is really annoying. Last semester, I would get home from school every day, take out my keys, go in the house, and go to the bathroom. Apparently I have done this for too long, because now every time I get home from school and take out my keys, I have to pee. Really badly. I am completely fine until I take my keys out, and then it hits me. It doesn't matter what time I get home, either. I don't even notice it until I see my keys. I think I have a pavlovian response to my keys-- they make me have to go to the bathroom because I associate them with the bathroom.

This is problematic because it's February, and our door gets harder to open when it's cold, and I wear snow boots, a scarf, and a huge jacket. It takes me much longer to get into the house, and then shedding all those layers and making it to the bathroom takes even longer. So I am stuck outside my apartment every day doing a "pee pee dance" and trying to get my key in the door. There have been some close calls. This is ridiculous! I am not a bulldog! I shouldn't wet my pants because my keys remind me of the toilet.

I don't know what to do. Should I slap myself every time I see my keys so I associate them with being slapped and not with going to the bathroom? This is annoying.

7 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

i bet the neighbors enjoy the pee pee dance.

Bexie Funk said...

that's really funny, you're acting like a dog!

Monya said...

That is totally funny! Monya

MOM THE BOMB said...

Try getting your keys out before you leave school and peeing then. Keep them out until you get home, and there won't be the association. (just trying to help) That or keep entertaining the neighbors.

Lindsey said...

I'm glad I'm so entertaining.

BRANDON said...

i like pavlova

Emily Hamilton said...

I'm sure the neighbors enjoy the entertainment. :) I did a pee dance many times when I was in Russia trying to get in the door.