Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The rocks

About a year ago, I was in a geology class and my professor used to bring rock samples to class. It always amazed me that every time we talked about a certain rock, he could magically pull out 5 different samples of the rock. It made me wonder how he did it. Do all geologists have magic rock collections that they can pull out of nowhere?

Then Brandon became a geology major. Now every time we go hiking, our rock collection increases by 15 lbs. It started taking over our apartment so we bought Brandon a 6-foot tall shelf just for his rocks. He has already filled half of it. He spent last night dilligently washing his rocks and scrubbing them with a toothbrush so that they will look pretty for the shelf. It was very cute. He could easily teach a college course with the samples that he has, not to mention the 500+ pictures he took of things like convolute bedding and cross stratification. Now I know that geologists aren't magic; they're just nerds. And I am SO glad he is majoring in something he loves so much. Maybe someday he will love me as much as he loves his rocks. (just kidding)

4 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

I think Brandon needs to be a professor. It just fits.

Bexie Funk said...

that does fit.

BRANDON said...

I have had rocks for a very long time. Long before you knew me.

Graytoppop said...

Shady, be glad he doesn't scrub you with a tooth brush and put you on a shelf!!

Is there a Piled higher and Deeper (PhD) in the future?