Friday, January 22, 2010

Three and a half years

I got my diploma in the mail yesterday. It made me start to think about everything that has happened since I left home, and I realized that it has been a pretty busy three and a half years. In that time, I started college, got engaged, got married, got pregnant, had a baby, and graduated. I have survived several camping trips to Yellowstone, Tetons, Yosemite, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Mesa Verde, and Grand Canyon National Parks.

When I list all these things out like that, it seems like I've been around the block a few times, but nothing could be further from the truth. Having a baby makes me feel very inexperienced. Today I called Mom to ask her when I can start teaching Violet that she can't be held all the time. Mom said "Whenever you get tired of holding her all the time," and I said, "Well that was about a month ago. Right now I'm hiding from her." In my own defense, I had a good reason for doing that-- she cries less when she can't see me, so I hide from her sometimes.

Luckily, Mom told me not to feel guilty about letting her cry sometimes, and I felt like less of a failure. At least I haven't locked myself in a closet with a bucket of ice cream yet. I'll wait until I have two kids before I start doing that. (Now that I think about it, I forgot to ask Mom when I get to have my own candy stash.) But it's okay-- I have lots of fun with Violet and the best adventures are yet to come.

6 comments:

Graytoppop said...

MTB had a candy stash before she had children. You are way late on that one.....

browniemom said...

You are not a failure if you let Violet cry for a minute. It's good for them (so I hear). You're a great mom.

Ashley Erin said...

i haven't stopped making fun of you since i heard your phone covo with mommy dearest. you are too funny.

BRANDON said...

covo?

MOM THE BOMB said...

a candy stash is a REQUIREMENT for being a mom. trust me.

All Handleys on Deck! said...

I love that you "hide" from her! That's so funny!!