Thursday, January 20, 2011

Our fun day

This is going to be a long semester.
I don't normally think that having kids is particularly hard. Well, at least not one kid. But this semester, Brandon has ALL evening classes and there are days when I feel like a chicken with its head cut off. Like Tuesday.
10:30AM-5PM: I sit inside all day and babysit. Violet gets cranky because she wants to go out, but I have one stroller and 2 babies. So, I put baby #2 in the stroller and I have Violet ride on top, using the handlebar as a seat and my arms as a seat belt. I get lots of weird looks.
4:00 PM: Violet sees a kitty and wants to get off the stroller. I let her down, and she goes crawling through the mud (yes, it rained the previous day). She comes back after a few minutes, all muddy, and we continue our ride on the stroller. The looks I get are even better now.
5:10 PM: Baby #2 goes home, and Violet and I head to Wal-Mart to pick up her new car seat. We wait for 20 minutes before being helped. Meanwhile Violet finds a toy that plays music and starts dancing to it in the middle of the store. When I try to get her to follow me, she pretends she can't walk.
5:30 PM: I realize that the package won't fit in my car because I already have 2 car seats and I'm boxed in by SUVs on both sides. So I open it right there, in the middle of the parking lot, and throw the contents in the car. I briefly consider leaving the box in the middle of the street. No, I can't. I open the door, shove the empty box with all my might in the car, and drive home with it as my front passenger.
6:00 PM: I put the meatloaf in the oven because I know Brandon will be starving when he gets home. At this point I'm pretty proud of myself for having prepared it during naptime.
6:20 PM: Okay, scratch that. The meatloaf is now sloppy joe mix, because I can't cook.
6:40 PM: Have dinner with Violet. She won't eat any of the sloppy meat loaf, and I can't blame her. But she does eat all the green beans off my plate.
6:45 PM: Violet grabs the empty plate and throws it on the floor, where it breaks.
7:45 PM: It's already 15 minutes past Violet's bedtime, but we have to pick Brandon up from school. We get there and his class that is supposed to end at 8 goes until 8:15.
Insert Violet running around naked every few hours when she is supposed to be getting her diaper changed, and you pretty much have my day. But seriously, what can you do about it? Kids are always going to throw curve balls at you. When nothing goes your way, just put the diaper back on and keep going.

3 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

sounds like one of those days! really funny, though, in retrospect.

Joel & Megan said...

I feel ya. Of course, I'm glad someone has similar days to what I am doing. In fact, today I let Alice go to Wal-Mart in her Sleeping Beauty costume to avoid a meltdown :P

Bexie Funk said...

oh poor shady call me when you have days like that b/c I totally remember them! and still have them.