Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Since everyone else is doing it...

I'll recap the interesting year of 2010. Here are the highlights, in more or less chronological order:
Graduating college in less than 4 years (technically that falls under 2009)
Getting a temp job at a storage facility
Having Poodle visit us for a week
Getting Brandon's acceptance letters to universities in Houston, Colorado, and Utah
Accepting Houston's acceptance
Brandon convincing my family that he actually accepted the one in Utah (still makes me laugh)
Walking at graduation with Brandon, having Violet get to see us graduate
Going to Arches and back in one day with MTB and DTB (thanks for being good sports)
Visiting Houston and getting to see everyone before Bexie's family moved
Surviving Brandon's 6-week field trip class
Moving to Idaho for a month
Going to Yellowstone with Violet
Going on our 2-week Canada trip with a 9-month old baby
Moving to Houston a week later
Getting a babysitting job
Brandon getting an internship offer

I described this year as interesting. Perhaps a better word would be "surprising," since many things this year didn't go as expected. I never really planned on working after I had Violet, and somehow I've worked 2 jobs this year. Getting into grad school in Houston so quickly was definitely a surprise, especially since it took BYU so long to decide that it wanted Brandon. Everyone predicted that a camping trip with baby Violet would be difficult, but Violet turned out to enjoy it more than anyone. And most surprisingly, living in a crowded house in Idaho turned out to be easier on me than moving back to Houston, a place I had long thought of as home. I guess life never turns out as you expect, and it pays to be flexible. We'll see how the new year meets my expectations, or rather how I meet my own expectations in the coming year.

2 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

i still think you're crazy for taking a baby camping for two weeks, but glad you had fun.

Graytoppop said...

MTB and I know a bit about being flexible. Very little happend as we imagined, but we have had a great time!