Monday, May 13, 2013

We are back

We just got back from our 2-week, 4,000-mile camping trip.  I got a lot of different reactions when I told people about our plans, but most involved people calling me crazy, brave, or saying that it wasn't a real vacation.  I'm sure many wondered whether the trip would be worth it for me, and to be honest, I wondered that before we left, too.  There are a lot of things that can go wrong on a camping trip, and a lot of things did go wrong.  I know that camping isn't exactly everyone's thing, and I wouldn't advise everyone else to take this trip.  But one thing I realized when we were out was that there really is no other way to see the world the way we did.  These are not places you can see by taking a flight and staying at a hotel.  It's going to be hard, because anything in life that's really worthwhile is.  But is it worth it?
 
YES!
 
I got to see my daughter experience the Grand Canyon for the first time.  She loved it.
 We were able to play on the beautiful dunes of White Sands national monument (this was one of the kids' favorite stops).

 I learned that my three-year-old is one of the best hikers I've ever met, simply because she loves climbing over rocks so much.
And all these were only a few moments out of our trip.  It was amazing.

6 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

I can't wait to see more pictures!

Ashley Erin said...

i'm glad the shorts i gave you came in handy!!

poodle said...

i am so jealous. i think that sounds like the best vacation ever!! i may take a trip like this with sammy.

bethy said...

leah has that zebra shirt! glad you had fun!

Graytoppop said...

I enjoy seeing the world, but I also need to sleep since road-trips involve driving. Problem is, I don't sleep well when camping. Maybe I can hire a driver?!!? Anyway, looks like it was well worth it!!!

MOM THE BOMB said...

Makes me want to go camping! I guess I'll have to be the driver. And I agree with Bex, MORE PICTURES, PLEASE!