Friday, August 02, 2013

I could be done.

Sometimes I think of what my life would be like if I were a normal person.  According to the national average, I should be done having kids.  Some people that don't know me even assume that I am.  I see people utterly confused if I hint at a potential third child. "What? But you already have one of each..." as if the only reasonable explanation for wanting another child is trying for one of a different gender.  I've already reached replacement rate.  What more do I want?

Admittedly, it might be nice to be done.  I would never have to buy a minivan or an SUV. I wouldn't have to keep in mind our family's growth potential when looking for houses.  I could buy clothes without having to calculate in my mind how long I would be able to wear them before getting pregnant and not being able to fit in them again.  And honestly, I have two REALLY GOOD kids*.  They have their difficult moments, but sometimes I think about just having them for the rest of my life and I think, my life would be so easy.

But easy has never been the way I live.  I see people with new babies and I swear my uterus skips a beat. I'm not in any rush-- if I wanted to have all my kids really close together, I wouldn't have started when I was 20.  I'm sure there will be more.  I love babies.  But for now, I really enjoy only having as many as the national average.

*Please note that this phrase does not apply to Violet during the hours of 8-10 PM or to Charlie when he is hot.

3 comments:

BRANDON said...

2.2 is current population replacement

Bexie Funk said...

i feel the same way and then i remember how awesome our family is and i want more.

MOM THE BOMB said...

yea, you've never been an "average" person.