Thursday, January 30, 2014

Violet: future OB?

Violet has definitely bonded with this pregnancy.  She asks daily how sister is doing, if she's kicking, and she fell asleep one night with her hand on my belly, trying to feel her move.  She boldly told me, "I think she likes me more than you."  I'm not sure about that, but it would be nice to have girls who are as close as she and Charlie are. 

Today I told her that my friend had a baby and she started asking about how the baby comes out.  She had more questions than my explanations would satisfy so I pulled up an animated video of what happens during labor and delivery.  She didn't just think it was cool; she thought it was AWESOME.  She made me play every video on the website and when one started playing footage of a live birth, I turned it off and she yelled, "Hey, I wasn't done watching that!"  She had even more questions after that.  How does the cord get off? Do they throw the placenta away? Does aunt Bethany catch her when she comes out? Do they wipe the stuff off the baby after she's born? Can she see in there? SHE CAN HEAR ME?!?! I showed her pictures of a placenta (by the way, don't ever google "placenta" unless you're prepared for it to give you the option for "placenta eating" with pictures of some really disturbing food) and we both agreed that the "red jellyfish" was gross and cool. 

Finally, I gave her the news that she would have to stay home with someone else when I go to the hospital and have the baby.  She simply replied, "Yeah, because there will be a lot of yucky stuff that I probably won't want to see."  This girl is wise beyond her years.

4 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

I love her!!

Bexie Funk said...

She's so funny!

MOM THE BOMB said...

She's something else! Love that girl!

Emily Hamilton said...

Violet cracks me up. We need to see you guys again. Too funny. And, for the record, that is disgusting people eat placenta. :/