Friday, February 14, 2014

That was not smart.

I feel like Bill Murray in What about Bob when he hangs up the phone and walks away whining, "That was not smart."

I had a pretty elaborate Valentine's day breakfast planned out for the kids. I was going to have the table all set in the morning with their presents on their plates and the cards that Reed sent to them sitting there for them to open.  Then we were going to eat cinnamon rolls, and since I don't like getting up at 6 AM (or even 8 AM for that matter), I had looked up a recipe for overnight cinnamon rolls that you just throw in the oven when you get up in the morning.

Only I didn't look at it closely enough.

I had briefly skimmed the recipe to make sure I had all the ingredients.  I missed the part where you let the dough rise for 2 hours before rolling it out.  I missed the part where you put it in a stand mixer with a dough hook for 10-12 minutes.  I also missed the part where you let it rise for another 30 minutes in the morning before putting it in the oven.  So at 11:30 PM when I go to throw it all together, I'm in for quite a surprise, because I will apparently only start rolling out the dough at 1:30 AM.  I don't own a stand mixer so I had to do the 10-12 minutes of kneading by hand, which I was NOT happy about (I gave up after 5, so we'll just see how they turn out).  And seriously? Letting them rise for 30 minutes in the morning? What is the point of overnight cinnamon rolls if all the rising doesn't happen OVERNIGHT? 

When I did a little more research I realized that the root of my problem stemmed from the creators of the recipe: Williams-Sonoma.  I should never trust a recipe that comes from a stupid overpriced store with stupid professional chefs with every kitchen gadget known to man at their disposal in their stupid test kitchens.  They don't care if a stupid cinnamon roll recipe takes up 12 hours of their time and their kids are screaming at them in hunger the next morning while the dough rises for an extra half hour and then cooks for that long.

It is so much work being a good mom.




3 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

we ate donuts from the grocery store, so you beat me!

bethy said...

You are hilarious

MOM THE BOMB said...

Looks like they turned out great!
super mom!