Friday, March 21, 2014

Justice has been served, Mom.

My mom loves to tell me the story of when I was 2 years old and I was so picky about what I wore that I took scissors to my Easter dress and cut the bunny out of it.

She will never let me live that down.

Well, when Violet was 2, she started getting picky about her clothes.  She loved pink and sparkly clothes but above all, she would not wear pants.  And I assure you that I am not resorting to hyperbole when I say that she has not worn pants in 2 years.  If it's cold enough, she will wear leggings under a skirt or dress. If the fabric is too thick and resembles pants, forget it.  If they have pockets, you may as well burn them.  She does not wear pants.  Other moms try to relate to me and say, "Oh yeah, my daughter does the same thing.  She never wears pants. It's just a phase that all little girls go through."  And then the next week I will see that mom's daughter in jeans and I think, "No. No no no no no, no no no.  This is so not the same thing. Violet isn't just difficult to get into pants.  She doesn't just not like wearing them.  She doesn't just rarely wear pants.  She DOES NOT wear pants.  Period. Talk to me when your daughter goes TWO YEARS without wearing pants."

It is so ingrained now that she saw this family picture from a couple of years ago and asked who the little girl in the picture is.  I told her, "that's you, Violet," and she replied by saying, "That's not me. That little girl is wearing shorts."  Simple as that.
Twice I have gotten her to wear leggings without a skirt or dress, but it was only because she was wearing a peplum shirt, and I was able to convince her that peplum shirts are just really really short dresses.

Some people say, "I don't have problems dressing my kids; I just have boys. Boys aren't picky about what they wear."  But guess who just turned 2 and is becoming extremely difficult? Yep, Charlieboy.  Just today I tried to put a shirt on him and he ran away screaming, "No! I don't wike dat shirt!"  He either wears shirts with animals on them or shirts that resemble animal markings (like his black and gray striped shirt that I call his "zebra shirt" and his orange and white striped shirt that I call his "Nemo shirt.")  So his outfits every day are not a choice of what shirt he wants to wear, but rather what animal he wants to be.

So Mom, I think I've learned my lesson.  Can this stop now?

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Ha ha. At least she doesn't destroy them. And my bet is that this is going to come up frequently when she is a mom.

Bexie Funk said...

oh i love this. its so funny, and sorry my kids aren't hard to dress, they don't care as much. i'll keep my eyes open for animal shirts for charlie.