Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The value of common interests

When I was a newlywed, Brandon and I started getting into taking pictures of all the places we've been.  When I showed my dad some of the pictures, he told me that a common interest is the basis of a long and happy marriage.  I thought he was joking.  It seemed too simple to be actual advice.

Well, it's been 4 years and it turns out that my dad was right.  It's easy being a newlywed.  Brandon and I were both full-time students working part-time jobs.  We took a few classes together, and even if we didn't do everything together, we had no kids to interrupt our time with each other. 

Fast forward to the present-- our days don't exactly have much in common.  Brandon goes to school, studying things that most people can't pronounce, let alone understand.  I go entire days without talking to anyone over the age of 2.  He goes on snorkeling trips to Australia and Belize and calls it "work." If I could go 24 hours without dealing with someone else's bowel movements, I would call it a vacation.  I get together with friends several times a week.  His social life involves talking with his professor about research projects over lunch.  After work, he would love nothing more than to relax at home.  After being with the kids all day, I would love nothing more than to leave the house and drown my stress in sugary liquid calories from Sonic.

So while there is nothing I would really change about my life, Brandon and I do need things to bond over.  So we bought a brand new camera, because we both love photography. Yes, it cost alot.  No, I don't feel bad about it.  At first I was feeling guilty because we also have to buy tickets to Utah and it looks like I may go to Belize with Brandon in November.  Then I realized that Brandon works and we are not in debt and I don't have to justify to anyone how we spend our money.




And belive me, this camera is worth every penny.

3 comments:

browniemom said...

....and those are the cutest bunch of kids ever! Happy Days!

Bexie Funk said...

i love the new pictures! i guess shawn and i both share a love of food?

MOM THE BOMB said...

Yes, Bex. You love cooking and Shawn loves eating. Perfect match!