Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Not my best day

My day started out with a helicopter mom almost calling CPS on me. 

We went to a park this morning that had a nice little playground for babies to play on-- very low to the ground with soft astroturf below.  Charlie has been walking for a little while now and he can climb onto/get down from things with ease.  He was playing nicely on it and I like to encourage independent play, especially with Charlie since he is so clingy, so I went and sat down a little ways off and watched him.  Unfortunately, I was not the only one watching him.  Another lady there started following him around and spotting him when he tried to climb down from things (thanks a lot, lady-- he hates being touched).  It had been less than 2 minutes before she turned around and started yelling, "Whose baby is this?!?"  So I went up, grabbed Charlie, and snapped, "He's mine!" while resisting the urge to punch her in the face.  Sorry you got mad because you felt the need to hover over my child.

Also, the dinner I made tonight was an abomination.  Seriously gross.  I couldn't even bring myself to bless the food before dinner; I simply asked that "it wouldn't be too gross."  And then I started laughing, because I knew that was too big a request.  Brandon started laughing and said, "Why are we even eating this?"

Okay, so the dinner incident was more funny than anything, but lately I've been feeling like I'm just not cut out for the job of taking care of everyone, especially when I see other moms say things that I can't even relate to.  I heard one new mom say, "If I had known how amazing motherhood would be, I would have had a baby a long time ago," and all I could think was, "If I knew what having a newborn would really be like, I would have OD'd on birth control."  I keep hearing all these things. "I love spending time with my oldest while the other kids are napping!" "I wish I could have more time to clean!" "I'm trying a new organic eating plan with my family!"  And here's what goes through my mind... I have no idea what to do with Violet when Charlie naps.  I wish I could devote ZERO hours a day to cleaning.  Violet can tell you how to get to Burger King from our house.  I AM NOT Supermom.  But I have a feeling that if I were, I would be the most boring person in the world.  And I would rather shower with a bear than cook and clean all day.  I'll settle for being a mediocre mom if it means that I can enjoy it.

6 comments:

BRANDON said...

Well at least you won't have to deal with me laughing during your prayers for the next few days.

Bexie Funk said...

that post was hilarious. call me anytime if other moms make you feel bad. you're doing just fine.

bethy said...

oh no, you are super mom. trust me, it's the prozac speaking when you hear the other lady's comments.

Amelia Brame said...

Hahaha you crack me up. PS- all the other moms are lying. They just WANT you to think that they are holding it together. I like honesty personally :)

Emily Hamilton said...

I agree with the previous posts. Bethany is right, half of them are on Prozac and people talk big, but you should see how the really live when no one is 'watching.' :) You're doing awesome! I like honesty. I'm at the point where I'm considering myself an alright mom since my children have survived this far. Ha!

poodle said...

whatever, there's nothing wrong with letting your kid learn to do things on his own. give me a break.