Friday, June 28, 2013

Still growing up too fast

Yesterday, Charlie surprised me.  He started pointing to letters and yelling "A" or "E." He rarely gets the letter right, but it's clear that he recognizes them as letters, and I found that pretty impressive (he just turned 18 months).  I was taken quite off guard by his skills, and I was thinking about how young he is when I realized that Violet was only a few months older than he is now when she memorized the entire alphabet. 

This isn't a post about how smart my kids are.  What I'm really talking about is how differently I see them.  It was easy for me to accept Violet's milestones since she was an only child.  By the time she knew her ABCs, I was already pregnant with Charlie, and she didn't seem like a baby anymore.  But since Charlie is the younger sibling, I have viewed him as a baby for much longer.  When I think about him learning the alphabet or speaking in sentences or someday becoming an older sibling, the first thing that comes into my head is, "That's crazy!  He's my baby!"  I guess that's what comes with being the youngest.  Now I know why my family can't take me seriously.

2 comments:

Ashley Erin said...

yeah, we probably never will take you seriously. sorry.

Bexie Funk said...

too funny. i'm pretty sure graham doesn't know any of his letters. i suck. i just got devin ready for kindergarten.