Monday, December 30, 2013

2013

2013 was like a bad boyfriend.

It started off all fun and exciting, and then came the red flags (AC breaking, losing my drivers license, etc.) Still, I stayed pretty optimistic.  Since a few things were working out for me, I kind of dove into everything headfirst, thinking it would all work out in the end.  Unfortunately all I learned was that you should never take on too many projects in your first trimester and you should never work for free.  So, 2013, this is where I say I'm getting sick and tired of you and it's time to break up.  We had some good times but in the end, I ended up wasting my time.  I'm ready for a new year.

Luckily though, a few things happened in 2013 that will make 2014 awesome. This will probably be a crazy, stressful year, but Brandon has a big boy job nailed down and I am pregnant so no matter how hectic things get, I will at least have a baby and a house by the end of the year.  And that is going to be fabulous. 

I of course could never write an end-of-year post without setting some goals for the next year.

1. Be nicer to Brandon. 
Brandon has been really nice to me this year.  And it's not like an annoying newlywed "I am so lucky I have the best husband ever <3<3<3 he is the greatest because he bought me flowers once XOXOXO" type of nice.  He has done some real, substantial, grown-up things.  Like never once complaining when I only made dinner 5 times in my entire first trimester.  Like staying calm and not judging me when one night I was so stressed out with the kids that I threatened to get my tubes tied after this baby.  Like taking care of the kids while I was in NYC pursuing my photography dreams.  Like spending 10+ hours setting up a webpage for me, without even being asked to, just so I can look more professional. Like showing me the techniques I needed to know to do a drawing for which I got paid and he received no credit.  So I'm going to try to pay him back a little. It's going to be a busy semester for him, so maybe I could do things like actually feed him dinner, or stop asking how much time it's going to take for him to graduate so I can live my ideal trophy wife lifestyle and spend all the money he makes.  Yeah, I can definitely do better.

2.  Learn how to say no.
I'm really bad at this, and the terrible thing is that some people really need to learn how to accept NO for an answer, and I've just been depriving them of this learning opportunity all along. I also need to learn that NO doesn't require an explanation, excuse, or apology.  That's the whole beauty of the word-- it's a one-word answer that gives people all the information they need.  Time to use it.

3. Stop thinking there is nothing to do.
There is always something to do.  I have no real schedule or commitments, but I still sit home some days thinking there is nothing to do.  Really? I could go to the beach on any given day if I just did it.  I could get up and take a road trip if I wanted.  No one but Brandon would even notice I'm gone. I don't have to take vacation days off work to do that.  I just need to be more fun.

Yes, 2014 is going to be eventful.  Between Brandon finishing school and starting his new job, and us buying a house and having a baby, it's probably going to go by faster than I can ever imagine.  But maybe if I do all these things I can handle the stress that comes along with all these life changes.  It's going to be a great year!

1 comment:

Bexie Funk said...

Aww Brandon is really nice to you!