Sunday, December 15, 2013

New York trip

Guys, I got to go on a trip without my kids.  You can all sit back and be jealous now.

When Ashley first offered to fly me to New York to take her maternity pictures, I was flattered and excited, but doubtful.  But happily, Brandon had finished class and tickets were cheap, so we were able to make this work!  We spent the first day there sleeping in till 10:30 (bliss), getting waffles (even more bliss), and taking Ashley's maternity pictures.  Apparently after she bought my ticket she had decided that she didn't want to do them anymore, but she went along because she had flown me out there and there was nothing she could do to get her money back. But she ended up having a good time despite the 40-degree weather, and I'm certainly glad we did these because they turned out adorable and I had a blast doing them.
I slept in till 10:00 again the next day (you'll start to notice a pattern of behavior when I'm not around my kids) and Ashley let me hang out with my friend Jennifer all day.  It worked out nicely, since Ashley was pregnant and tired and not exactly wanting to play tour guide, I got to see my friend and not feel bad for ditching the person who paid my way here.  I navigated the subway to meet up for an early lunch at a fabulous (and famous) burger place.
Not sure what to think of the subway yet.
Afterwards, Jennifer, her boyfriend and I had a photoshoot at the Brooklyn bridge.  That was probably the most "tourist-y" thing I did while there, aside from wearing bright colors.  Apparently that is a fashion faux-pas in NYC.  But the bridge was lovely, and it even started snowing right as we got off.
After walking the whole way across the bridge we decided it was time for more waffles.  I've never tasted anything better in the snow than a warm, crisp waffle covered in dulce de leche.
 After a brief stop at Jennifer's apartment, we went to a bar (go ahead and take a moment to pray for my salvation) on top of the Standard that had a great view of the city.  I ordered the virgin version of whatever she was having (something with pear juice and ginger) and it was by far the best drink I've ever had.  I'm seriously considering getting a house with a wet bar when we move just to mix myself mocktails.

 After a delicious dinner at a Filipino restaurant in the Lower East Side (quite a colorful part of town) I headed back for another round of sleeping in till irresponsible hours.

We met up one last time for some ramen lunch and it was delicious.  I would love nothing more than to have another bowl of that right now.  We stopped at Union Square to buy some overpriced souvenirs that would ultimately last only a few hours, and after one last waffle I took a cab to the airport.  It was good to get home but I miss Ashley and Jennifer a ton.
   
I was greeted by two squealing children and Brandon.  To say that I was impressed with his performance while I was gone would be a gross understatement.  I swear I get three gray hairs each time he goes on a trip.  But when I left, he not only took care of the kids, but I came home to some wrapped presents on my bed (some art supplies that I was needing for an upcoming project), he had weaned Charlie off his binkie and taught him to say "I love you mommy," and Violet was so attached to him that she kept wanting her picture taken with Daddy.  Success!

3 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Looks like fun! (For you, but yes, I AM impressed with Brandon - I think that comes from growing up oldest in a large family)

Bexie Funk said...

go Brandon! i'm impressed he weaned charlie off his binkie! He may have superpowers!

Ashley Erin said...

Miss you too Shader!! Thanks for being my photographer. I was very impressed!